The PX4 system is architected in a modular fashion allowing it to use a single codebase for all robot types.
All hardware configurations in the airframe section assume a basic set of equipment:
- A Taranis Plus remote control for the safety pilot (or equivalent with PPM / S.BUS out)
- A ground control station
- Samsung Note 4 or equivalent / more recent Android tablet
- iPad (requires Wifi telemetry adapter)
- Any MacBook or Ubuntu Linux laptop
- An in-field computer (for software developers)
- MacBook Pro or Air with OS X 10.10 or newer
- Modern laptop with Ubuntu Linux (14.04 or newer)
- Safety glasses
- For multicopters: A tether for more risky tests
PX4 can be used with a much wider range of equipment, but new developers will benefit from going with one of the standard setups, and a Taranis RC plus a Note 4 tablet make up for a very inexpensive field kit.